Acting class in action

Application Information

Applications for the 2020 course are now open, for workshop and masterclasses please look at our What's On page and fill out a workshop application form.   Full time course application link below.

Please note that applicants for the 2020 course must be at least 19 years of age at January 1st 2020.

Applications close Friday 27th September, 5pm.


If your application is successful you will be given a time to come to our auditions.

First round auditions will be held at The Actors’ Program Studio in Auckland and at Rata Studios in Wellington. (Please indicate whether you prefer Auckland or Wellington on your application form. South Island audition date to be decided if enough interest).

First round auditions

Friday 04 October 2019 12pm - 7pm (Auckland)                                                 Saturday 05 October 2019 9am – 6pm (Auckland)
Friday 11 October 2019 12pm – 7pm (Auckland)
Saturday 12 October 2019 9am – 6pm (Auckland)                                             Saturday 12 October 2019 1pm – 5pm (Wellington)

The audition will be 30-50 minutes long. You will prepare two contrasting monologues (stage or screen) of your own choosing which you will perform before our panel of directors. These directors will then give you some notes on your performance and ask you to perform all, or part of, the monologue again incorporating those notes. There will be another actor there to act with should you need a focus to direct your speech to. You may also be required to cold read from a monologue passage. To prepare for this practice reading out loud from books, newspapers and magazines.

You will then be notified as to whether you have succeeded in progressing to the second stage.

Second Round Audition Weekend

Saturday 26 & Sunday 27 October 2019 (Sat – 8.30am-5pm / Sun: 10.00am - 3.00pm)

If you are invited to a second-round audition, you will be asked to participate for a full weekend audition workshop day at The Actors’ Program in Auckland.

At the second-round audition you will complete movement, voice, cold-reading and acting technique classes, and then perform a prepared two-handed scene to a live panel, plus a group devised piece created over the weekend.


You will be notified as to whether your audition has been successful within a week of the second-round audition and then confirm your place by paying the 10% deposit by early November.

Application Fee

$150 + GST. Payable at the time of submitting an application form.

Cancellation policy

Any application to a course provided by The Actors’ Program must be submitted on the required application form. All applications are subject to terms and conditions set out on the application form.


The Actors’ Program will provide fees for courses on request. A 10% deposit of the total course fee will be required following acceptance into the course. The remaining 90% must be paid not less than two weeks prior to the start of the course.


100% refund of fees shall be given if a student withdraws from the course up to fourteen days prior to the start of the course. An administration fee of $500 + GST will be charged and retained upon cancellation.

If a student withdraws from the course less than fourteen days prior to the start of the course, the course fee will not be refunded, except in exceptional circumstances. Any application for a refund in exceptional circumstances must be made in writing no later than the start of the course. The Actors’ Program will consider each application on its merits and may refund part of all of the course fee in its sole discretion. Any decision by the Actors’ Program will be final and binding.