This 2-day workshop (over two consecutive Saturdays) is designed to give actors an overview of Four Elements voice work and its application to performance. For actors to re-connect with the emotional core of their work through opening, extending and understanding the power of their voice. Build flexibility, colour and immediacy in your performance while anchoring your authentic presence.
Saturday 10th & Saturday 17th - 10:00am - 5:30pm
@ The Actors' Program Studio - 145 Karangahape Rd, Newton
We will look at each of the Elements, Earth, Water, Fire and Air in depth, focusing on the core aspects of the voice and its connection to the actor’s process and text in performance.
This workshop provides an opportunity to re-calibrate your relationship to your voice as a source of emotional connection, self-nurture, creative renewal and a pathway to embodied expressive performance. It is ideal for graduates, working professionals and past Four Elements students who want to take their work to a new level, or who seek to refresh and renew their enthusiasm.
Places are limited. Please email your current CV and a brief description of why you want to do the course to firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Day Workshop Pricing -
Earlybird - $190 / Equity discount $150 - Book by Friday 25th August (5pm)
Regular Price - $220 / Equity discount $170
Four Elements Voice workshop will cover:
- Breath - support and freedom
- Tone – Getting grounded
- Vocal Range – opening and expanding the colours of the voice
- Clarity – how to ‘show up‘ in performance
- Authentic performance – how to stay true
- Stamina and vocal maintenance
- Emotional flexibility and free impulse
- Characterisation and versatility
- Your brain and its connection to your creative process
- Deepening emotional connection
- The power of language – how to make your words count
- Healing sound and the role of the Ear
- Embodying text: Shakespeare and contemporary
- The role of imagination and visualization
Sylvia Rands is one of NZ’s most experienced voice and acting teachers – working for the last 28 years through NZ and Australia developing Four Elements Voice Training. Building on her work as an actor and director she links the speaking and singing voice to awaken creativity, authenticity and strength in the actor. She was Head of voice at Toi Whakaari: NZ Drama School and recent acting appearances are in When we go to War and Shortland St.